The Powell University House
UF presidents have entertained at The Powell House since 1953.
The Earl and Christy Powell University House is open to UF organizations and groups that want to entertain, meet or hold a retreat there. Our staff will work hand-in-hand with you to create the perfect atmosphere for your event. We invite you to step through the front door of the Earl and Christy Powell University House and turn an ordinary event into an extraordinary affair.
Rental and Event Information
The Powell University House is open for rental to groups or organizations affiliated with the University of Florida. Our staff will work hand in hand with you to create the perfect atmosphere for your meeting, retreat or celebration.
Designated areas of the Earl and Christy Powell University House are available to rent by approved UF departments, colleges, and divisions for university-sponsored functions only. The Earl and Christy Powell University House is not available for functions sponsored or organized by student organizations and private, individual functions, including but not limited to weddings, birthday celebrations, and pre/post-game celebrations.
A reservation request form must be submitted to the President’s Office before an event can be considered. Each request form will be reviewed individually. The President’s Office reserves the right to decline any request that does not meet the established guidelines. Reservations are taken on a first-come, first-served basis. No event is confirmed on the calendar until a signed contract is received by the President’s Office.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
The official House caterer is Dean Cacciatore with Cacciatore Foods, firstname.lastname@example.org. For meetings of fewer than 10 people, food may be brought in from an alternate source upon prior written approval of the UF President’s Office.
No alcoholic beverages may be sold at the Earl and Christy Powell University House. Alcohol may be served on the weekends and after 5 p.m. on weekdays. Groups planning to serve alcoholic beverages must receive approval in advance by submitting the UF Alcohol Approval Form to the Office of Business Affairs (204 Tigert Hall, FAX 392-0278) and must comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
SET-UP AND CLEAN-UP
Catered events will be set up and cleaned up under the direction of the caterer and the cost will be included in the caterer’s service fee. Excessive clean-up and/or damage will be noted immediately and billed at a higher rate.
Groups of fewer than 10 people that do not use the official caterer are responsible for disposing of all trash, wiping down tables and countertops and restoring the house to its pre-event condition.
A vendor approved by the President’s Office must be used for catering supplies and decorations. Décor (over and above the use of linens, centerpieces, flowers and plants) must be approved in advance and in writing by the President’s Office. No confetti, glitter, rice/bird seed or similar items may be used at the Earl and Christy Powell University House unless approved in advanced by the President’s Office. Candles may be used only if in a glass enclosure such as a globe or hurricane lamp; candles may not be taller than the enclosure. Banners, posters and/or flyers may not be hung or attached to walls in any interior space. Banners may be hung on the exterior of the Earl and Christy Powell University House with prior written permission from the President’s Office.
Live entertainment must be approved in writing by the President’s Office prior to the start of the event. In accordance with UF Policy, after 10:00 p.m., no live bands using a PA system may perform outside.
Security will be provided by University Police Department (UPD) and arranged by the hosting organization. All charges will be paid directly to UPD as determined by UPD, with a three-hour minimum. Any event involving alcohol will require security. The President’s Office will determine if security is required for all other events.
The hosting organization should check with UPD to determine if an event at the O’Connell Center will coincide with their event at the Earl and Christy Powell University House. Unless there is a large event in progress at the O’Connell Center, there is usually ample parking available during after-hours events. For other parking arrangements, the hosting organization should contact UPD to assist with making alternate parking arrangements.
UPD will monitor VIP parking in the circular drive and will direct all other guests to the O’Connell Center (or alternative parking as required).
- A draft copy of the invitation to your event must be approved in writing by the President’s Office prior to distribution (see the Invitation Guidelines tab for more information).
- Events are expected to begin and end on time; it is the responsibility of the host organization to ensure that their event ends in a timely manner.
- The hosting organization must have a contact person at the Earl and Christy Powell University House from at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the event until the last guest leaves.
- It is recommended that Cicerones (Student Ambassadors to UF) be on duty at events with over 50 attendees to assist with greeting guests, distributing name tags and programs and other appropriate tasks.
- Guests are welcome to visit the public areas of the house; however, guests are not allowed upstairs or in the kitchen/office areas. It is the responsibility of the person requesting use of the house to ensure that their guests respect these private areas.
- Smoking is prohibited in and on the grounds of the Earl and Christy Powell University House at all times.
- All events must occur between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- Maximum capacity per event is 300 people.
- The Earl and Christy Powell University House is unavailable to rent on official university holidays.
Make a Reservation Request
If you are interested in hosting an event, fill out our reservation request form.
The Earl and Christy Powell University House at the University of Florida
2151 West University Avenue
Gainesville, FL 32603
For more information, please contact Stacey Merritt: